Community Story Hour
WHAT IS COMMUNITY STORY HOUR?
Our community has grown over the past 40 years and there are many untold and undocumented stories. The challenge we face is to have enough platforms for for those stories to be shared on a large-scale. This model aims to guide communities to open their doors and allow for those stories to be shared and documented.
Community Story Hour is an event that masjids, third spaces, or community centers can host with the purpose to invite the community to come and share their stories. The center would be responsible for selecting a theme and recruiting the story tellers to share their personal experiences to the audience. Further details can be found in the attached PDF that outlines the steps your center would need to take to make this happen.
Besides having community member's stories shared and documented, there are other benefits to hosting this type of program. Just to mention a few:
- Hosting an event like this is a unique event that can draw new attendees to your center.
- It connects generations: As suggested in the guide, you want to make sure that you have a diverse set of story tellers. Not only does this provide a good range of stories, but this allows for different perspectives to be shared. Hearing different perspectives from different age groups allows for a greater understanding between the generations. This event is also a great event for a whole family to attend together.
- Get creative with the name of the event - you do not need to use the name 'Community Story Hour.'
- Once you establish a successful program, consider hosting it again at a neutral space and inviting the greater community at large to participate in. This is a great way to share the American Muslim Narrative with your immediate neighbors.
- Template flyers are attached as well for your use. If you need any assistance or further catering of your flyers, please contact us and we would be more than happy to help.
This model was inspired by the Muslim Community of Western Suburbs (MCWS), a masjid in Canton, Michigan. They learned from the nonprofit, Moth Story Hour, and implemented it to become their own. More details, and pictures, coming soon!
*Note: if you would like a flyer to be catered to fit your organization's needs, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org